Former Bradford Woodhouse Grove Circuit

Sources

  • WW – Idle Thorpe Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1810-1910 – Wright Watson
  • TMC – Thackley Methodist Church 1889-1989: A Centenary Celebration in Pictures and Words
  • CM – The History of Calverley Methodism from 1825 to 1930
  • CF – This Continuing Faith: List of dates and events in the life of the Methodist Churches of Calverley – compiled by George Parr 1972
  • CR – Circuit record books
DateEventSource
1738Conversion of John Wesley, Aldersgate Street, London, 24 May 
1742First evidence of Ingham Society at IdleWW
1744First visit of John Wesley to BradfordCM
1747First Methodist class in BradfordCM
1763First Methodist Cash Account extant for IdleWW
1775First Eccleshill Chapel opened at Lands LaneWW
1776John Wesley preached at Eccleshill Chapel and remarked in his journal, “I preached at Eccleshill to a people just sprung out of the dust, exceeding artless and exceeding earnest, many of whom already seemed to have been saved from sin. Oh, why do we not encourage all to expect this blessing every hour”. 
1781First extant list of members for IdleWW
1784First class meeting at ThackleyTMC
1797Thackley class disbanded after membership dropped to threeTMC
1798Great Revival and increase in society at IdleWW
1805First Methodist Sunday School in Idle foundedWW
1810Old chapel built at IdleWW
1812Woodhouse Grove Academy openedWW
1813Woodhouse Grove Circuit formedWW
1822Class reformed at Thackley and meeting in members’ homesTMC
1829Yeadon Circuit separated from Woodhouse Grove CircuitWW
1832First Chapel built in CalverleyCM
1833First Woodhouse Grove Chapel openedWW
1835First chapel opened at UndercliffeWW
1838Greengates School/chapel opened by Mr William DawsonWW
1842Great RevivalWW
1845Formation of new trust for IdleWW
1849Opening of first Sunday School, IdleWW
1854Bolton School and Chapel builtWW
1854First Methodist Sunday School built in CalverleyCM
1855Second Eccleshill Chapel built at Stony LaneWW
1856First Thackley Chapel openedWW
1860Great revivalWW
1861Calverley Chapel demolished and new chapel built on Clarke Street siteCM
1871New chapel opened in IdleWW
1872Primitive Methodist Chapel built in Calverley (Park Chapel)CM
1873Thackley chapel extendedTMC
1876First marriage at Calverley Wesleyan ChapelCM
1888Thackley chapel damaged by fire and demolishedTMC
1889New chapel opened at Thackley on 7 MarchTMC
1893Springfield Mission openedWW
1894New organ at IdleWW
1903New Sunday Schools opened at IdleWW
1905Thackley Chapel registered for marriagesTMC
1907Formation of Otley Road and Woodhouse Grove CircuitWW
1910Centenary of First Wesleyan Methodist chapel in IdleWW
1932Union of Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodists as the Methodist ChurchCM
1933Calverley Wesleyan chapel renamed Trinity Methodist Church, CalverleyCM
1943Union of Park and Trinity societies to form Calverley Methodist ChurchCF
 Trinity Chapel demolished 
1962Thackley Sunday School damaged by fireTMC
1963Union of Stony Lane and Norman Lane churches to form Eccleshill Methodist Church on Norman Lane siteCR
1967Union of Otley Road and St Andrew’s churches on St Andrew’s siteCR
1968Clarke Street Sunday School at Calverley demolished and site sold.CF
1970New hall opened at ThackleyTMC
1970New hall opened at CalverleyCF
1989Refurbishment of Thackley church with removal of pewsTMC
1998New church built at Bolton 
2004St Andrew’s refurbished 
2004Thackley became a community centre and launched a redevelopment project. 
2005Rev Nick Blundell joined the Circuit as minister of St Andrew’s and the District Mission Enabling Officer. Nick replaced Rev Darren Garfield. 
2005Sharon Fell joined the Circuit as the Youth and Children’s Worker 
2006Circuit achieved Fairtrade status. 
2006Circuit “Salt People” Mission led by Cliff College. 
2006Rev Keith Hunt joined the Circuit as Superintendent, replacing Rev Albert Gayle. 
2007Rev Freddy Takavarasha (probationer) joined the Circuit, replacing Rev Harry Scott, as minister of Bolton, Calverley and Thorp churches. 
2008Thorp closed its doors for the last time on Sunday 27 July 2008. 
20095 July Rev Freddy Takavarasha was ordained. 
200912 July Circuit Celebration at Calverley Methodist Church 
20091 September – the Bradford Woodhouse Grove Circuit ceased to be and its churches joined others from Bradford West and Shipley and Bingley to form the new Bradford North Circuit. 

Focus – Woodhouse Grove Circuit Magazine

Our last edition was published in July 2009. The archive is held in a remote file store. Clicking on the links below will take you to a prompt to download the file. 

2004 December
2005MarchJuneNovember
2006MarchJulyNovember
2007MarchJulyNovember
2008MarchJulyNovember
2009MarchJuly